[Amc-list] So Cal AMC / So Cal AMX meet

Got there late, and didn't enter my car, nor could I go to the
Irwindale event. I'd originally planned on entering my car and
driving on the track, but my work load is insane until mid-June
so I had to get back home, but I did at least get a few hours
in. I showed up with Jason, our Makeway Racing (24 hours of
LeMons) team leader.

OK, it was a great time! An excellent turnout for southern
california AMC family members -- a great spread from the AMX club
(as fine a collection of AMC performance anywhere), the middle
years AMC stuff (Gremlins, Hornets, Marlins, Ambassadors),
early AMC (Ramblers, Bruce's Classic wagon that looks like
mine, down to the same red primer :-), Americans, and pre-AMC,
in the form of a couple or three Nashes.

The NHRA museum, which I expected to be small was pretty damn
good. And lo, there was Barney Navarro's 750 hp Rambler six. Or
one of them, maybe there's two. I got to take better photos
of it and I got the twin turbos this time (it was tucked
in a corner when I saw it first and was unable to get good
photos. Two turbos, each smaller than the huge things I got, in
parallel. The placard claimed 105 PSI boost (yes, one hundred
five).  That seems impossible to me. But it was apparantly 700
hp from 181 cubic inches, in 1968. Yow.

And I got the story on the name confusion.

There's the Socal AMX club, http://www.socalamx.net. Nice people;
I first met them in a multi-make meet (with huge AMC presence)
in Whittier, in 2005? and they were quite welcoming, I had just
got my Hornet running, badly, it was unpainted and looked like
crap and they were still welcoming :-) Nice enough to give me
a hat, with my decidedly non-AMX-AMC. Thanks to Mark for the
info and the event!

Then there's Socal AMC, http://www.socalamc.com. I honestly
don't know (yet...) much about them, but I will find out more
for myself in the coming months. Thanks, George for telling me
your story and event!

BOTH groups put on the show, same as last year (which I
unfortunately missed). It was a GREAT MIX OF CARS AND PEOPLE!

Doug Galvin was there, and I got to buy -- retail! -- the gas
tank sock and O-ring I forgot to order. I apologized for my
Rambler Mentality cheapness, I always seem to buy small stuff
from him.

Gotta go to dinner. I have photos, will post in the next
few days.