Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

On Sun, 25 May 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Anyway, I'm pretty happy with better than 17, and it looks like 20-21
> would definately be within reach!

Oh yeah, with your setup that's probably just fine for in-town
putt-putt. At whatever the cruise "sweet spot" is for your car
I doubt you'll get less than 22mpg or so.

All in all, highway driving is really easy on cars! Freeways
are more or less flat and level, with controlled grades. Unless
congested, no stress on brakes. Only if the suspension is rotten
will it be unpleasant or worse. The open road sees steady cruise
speed, lots of airflow, and low accel/decel.

I think though if the rings were better mine would get better
mileage. I run wide tires, but 34 psi. 50 weight in the
transmission, overdrive, 2100 rpm@60mph, it ought to be better
than 22mpg I think.

I wonder what cheats they pulled to get 30 mpg from those Mobil
Economy Runs! I assume thin oils everywhere, good for contesting
but not so good for longevity!