Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

Mine's the OHV with a one barrel carb and a three speed manual on the
column. Most of my driving is just running down to the grocery store
or running errands. I've never run it much above 50-55, and never had
it on a highway. No trip has lasted longer than 15 minutes at most.
I'll watch it some more and try to total out the MPGs. I'm not sure if
overdrive would help a lot right now, as I rarely get it above 45
anyway, but it seems like it would be happier with another gear when
it hits 50-55.

Sounds like your doing great!

I've started thinking about going Pertronix, as it seems using points
might be more maintenance than I'm prepared to do (less than 500
miles, and I need to revisit timing and points gap). Although it's not
a lot of effort, and I should just suck it up. Most days I think
points are cool, sometime I think electronic ignition would be a lot
easier.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with better than 17, and it looks like 20-21
would definately be within reach!