Re: [Amc-list] 17.339 MPG around town

On Sun, 25 May 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Not bad for a 43 year old car. Right around what my wife's Highlander
> gets. Wonder if I could get 20.

Mine gets 21.9 MPG, that's the average over all fillups
since 1 Jan 2008. It's probably 75% highway miles; I drive a
rock-steady 60 mph, 2100 rpm or so, in overdrive. One fillup
is often misleading.  I'll get a 19mpg followed by a 24, then
20, etc.  Since I drive 300 miles/week over the exact same road
at the exact same speed, 45 mi each way, I think the variation
is mostly fillup slop, and weekend in-town stuff.

You have the manual trans, right? Do you know what axle ratio
you have? Is it flathead or OHV, I forget?

I've got a near-new 2bbl carb, and a Pertronix in the
distributor, new plugs, cap, etc.  I buy the cheapest gas, it's
never pinged even once, I and I have the timing about 10BTDC (I
think 8 is spec'd). Otherwise, it's an old rebuild. Compression
wasn't all that even, about the same as yours, last November. I
guess I should recheck it, see if stuff got better (or worse :-)