Re: [Amc-list] EFI 196?

I de-HTML'ed your post, Frank!!

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

A fellow here on the list (still?) converted a 258 using the GM
stuff and 4.3L V-6 electronics. No problems. The 2.5L probably
pulls more cfm than the 196 even at idle. As soon as the engine
warms up it's in closed loop. so the MAP and O2 sensor adjust
it out. It might idle a bit rich until warm-up, but that's
about it. Of course there are enough people out there familiar
with the GM chip that it wouldn't be hard to get a custom chip
burned just for this app, and it's usually around $50-$75. Most
are good enough that they get it right the first time now, but
then they deal mostly with V-8s. Might take a couple trys to
get it right with the 196. All the custom burners I've talked
to will burn one, you try it, and if not correct send them some
feedback and they'll send a second one free of charge. Basically
you drive it on the first one for a while, read the plugs and
use the "butt dyno", then let them know what you think.

Too bad Glen Hoag is in AL and you're in LA!! <span
a good Megasquirt application. If you pay for the stuff maybe
Glen can find someone close enough that he can fine tune on
their 196... If I still had a 196 car in drivable condition
I'd take it down and leave it with him for a few months.