[Amc-list] Turner 4WD - New Carter 258 Carb

From: Wayne E LaMothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Weber Carbs for the 258
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

If you want to keep it simple, go to Turner 4WD and buy a NEW Carter.
Someone has retooled for the Carter and it is the non stepper version.  I
have one on my Eagle and it worked great right out of the box.  I also
run an HEI so there was no worry about having to bypass the computer
control of the stock dizzy.  I had a Weber on it but did not like all the
airflow noise with the tiny air cleaner.  I live on top of a mountain so
it got too annoying listening to it.  Everybody that has chimed in about
the stock cam is right on.  That is the limiting factor when it comes to
carb choice.  I have run the motorcraft conversion, the Weber, the Holly
390 and sad to say, the Eagle runs best with the Carter.  It was designed
for it and each of the other carbs offered  a little more higher end
power but at a loss of low end torque.

Just my thoughts, YMMV