Re: [Amc-list] SR-4/T-4 in an American

The TBI can be relatively easy. Pre 87 2/5L four (maybe later in S-10
truck/Blazer?) with dizzy should bolt right on. That's pre OBD, and it
will lite the "check engine" light with the dizzy disconnected, so could
be trouble for CA guys like you, but since it's the old engine in an old
car it should be exempt -- you're just changing the fuel delivery
system. The 2.5L 1V TBI is rather large, so you'll need to make a new
plate for the 196 intake, but that's no big deal. You could even use a
piece of plywood to mock it all up before getting a slab of aluminum.
IIRC the 1V TBI hole is about 1.75" in diameter. I do recall that the
surface area was a little more than the area of both barrels of the
optional WCD 2V, so it should flow more air. I doubt you'd have people
waiting in line for adapters, but could probably sell a few. The modern
trans is the thing that would get most people -- originals in good
condition are getting hard to find, and who wants to spend a lot of
money on a clunky T-96? For a restorer it's essential, for a driver the
newer trans is way better. A V-6 or four cylinder T-5 should work fine
behind a 196. I wouldn't worry so much about the trans gearing, change
the rear axle to match. I believe a Ranger axle will fit, or an S-10.
Hmm... the right year S-10 could provide axle, trans, and TBI! I'll take
the torquey 196 over the four though. ---------- Date: Tue, 6 May 2008
17:30:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> The TBI seems
like the most work, to me. I do have that '58195.6 OHV now, so I might
do that first, bird-in-hand, and couldbench-build the whole thing, not
something I usually get to do.

There's a lot of Ramblers with pre-72 sixes in them that are
worth saving and none of this hurts that; T4, T5, TBI or turbo.
Maybe I could make up kits for sale...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"