Re: [Amc-list] SR-4/T-4 in an American

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> 60-62 (63 American -- all four point mount engines) have a
> "short" bolt pattern top to bottom. "Tri-Power" (three point
> mounts -- all 64+, 63+ Classic/Ambo) use a "tall" pattern. I
> bet that adapter will work with the tall pattern AND the short
> with an additional 1/8" plate (for short only). The top two
> bolt holes on the T-96 and SR-4/T-5 are the same, I do recall
> that when I was contemplating an SR-4 for my 63 American.

Ahh, that pulls those details together! Thanks!

I'm kinda going in multiple directions at once. I'm slowly moving
out of 'fix my own car' mode into thinking about a small-scale,
modest performance driveline for I don't know exactly what at
this point.

I really like the early American chassis. It's problems for
mods are obvious, but it's of excellent quality and beautiful
design. (The base of the rear seat, it's actually a chassis
suspension component! If you look close it's a triangular truss
of substantial guage, the rear spring front perches are braced
to it, it's got a strut to the tunnel hump, and cosmetic metal
for the seat surround. Very clever, light, stiff.)

Keeping with Rambler Mentality, a 195.6 flathead (cheap! ish)
with a turbo on it (cheap!) with TBI (well, sort of cheap) and
T4/T5 trans, a hole in the hump for the shifter, and a custom
driveshaft would make the little car pretty fast, fun, unique,
and totally maintainable.

The TBI seems like the most work, to me. I do have that '58
195.6 OHV now, so I might do that first, bird-in-hand, and could
bench-build the whole thing, not something I usually get to do.

There's a lot of Ramblers with pre-72 sixes in them that are
worth saving and none of this hurts that; T4, T5, TBI or turbo.
Maybe I could make up kits for sale...

> So it
> would be trivial to drill another hole or two in the adapter or
> bell. The hard part is done -- the adapter will center the trans
> via the bearing retainer and top two bolt holes. If I wanted
> to do a T-5 (or SR-4/T-4) swap to a 196 I'd be buying this
> adapter! Talk to them and see what they charge for returns. It
> would be worth a 10% restocking fee and shipping both ways if
> it doesn't fit just to know!

Good point. I want to have one here if it looks like it'll fit
or could be made to fit.