Re: [Amc-list] light flywheels, T-5, Volvos, AMC content

Re: [Amc-list] light flywheels, T-5, Volvos, AMC content

You are correct all V-8s are externally (known as Detroit balance) balanced.
You are wrong that it must be a six cylinder flywheel because it has no
counterweights. It could be
a six flywheel but just because it has no counterweights is not enough
reason. Sixes are internal
or neutral balance so there should be no additional counter weighting
balance holes drilled into them.
The 304 flywheel has material removed from the edge of the flywheel for
balancing.
That is of course if we are assuming that weights means the additional
material cast into
the flywheel that is used for balancing and looks like a square shaped pad
on the engine side.
I have a 1970 304 with a flywheel. It has no additional weight cast into it.
I think the weights are
on 343, 360, 390 and 401 flywheels. I think 343 and 360 flywheels have the
counterweight in a different location.
This web site has a pretty good description of AMC flywheels.
http://www.trailhed.com/amc_flywheel.html

Hope this helps,
Armand