Re: [Amc-list] DUH! Re: 64 Ambassador 990!

Re: [Amc-list] DUH! Re: 64 Ambassador 990!

Last summer I did miserably little driving in the American.
I got about 21mpg and that included some hard driving and extended idle time fiddling with this and that.
Keep in mind. mine has 60 series tires all around and non optimal geared trans.
I also discovered I may have a speed sensor in place my 91 ECM does not recognize wich will effect mileage somewhat to the down side.
   Apparently 91and some 92? ecms need a switch or reed type speed sensor and then they switched to Hall effect.
IIRC, the later ecu will use either sensor, but the early ecu will not see a hall effect sensor.
   I'm not sure which one I put in :[

Anyway, with skinny tires and proper gearing I would expect to see mid 20's easy out of a efi 4.0L in an American.
If your out for max mpg and up for the extra sensors, going to OBD II will get you better mpg as they run close loop most of the time. OBD I spends more time in open loop.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>