[Amc-list] Rearend

Somebody done been messing with my rearend....
Finally, just barely managed to work up enough energy to reseal the rear diff cover on the American.
Last time i used the supposedly good blue metallic RTV.
It failed miserably as it started dripping with in a few heat cool cycles.
Anyway, it had progressed to the point of starting to puddle instead of drip so it had to be resealed.
Pulled the cover and noticed some things I never looked at or payed much attention to.
The gasket surface had some dings and gouges in it and a few burrs.
Hmmm, WTF, I wondered. So I looked closer and one of the carrier caps has rounded bolt edges too.
I also notice how small that AMC 15 ring is.
I can't believe I ain't broke it yet. Dang that thing is little!
I rolled everything, seems good, not noticeable chunks of anything in the bottom, no metal filing etc.
So, I guess the repair was an old one.
I flat filed the gasket surface nice and clean, wiped, wiped and rewiped everything down to eliminate contamination of the new bead of "the right stuff". and sealed it up again.
I know it is said you can fill and go within 5 minutes, but I left it sit on stands.
I'll fill it tonight.
I'm hoping this finally ends that darned drip.
Glad I did not go with a gasket with the condition the gasket surface is in.
I wonder why I did not notice it last time?
This housing is strange the whole way around.
The spring pads to not line up!
I have lowering blocks in place and angle cut one to get the housing to sit true and not wrap one spring or the other.
I think the housing some how got made this way as I can find no sign of the tubes being loose or turning and I'd have knocked them loose by now!
I'd have swapped to the other 3:31 I have, but this one allready has the good twingrip in place and quiet, so I did not want to fool with swappingit out.
With any luck I can take it on it's maiden voyage for the summer tonight....
yeah...

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV