Re: [Amc-list] Oil filters

" From: "Guhanick, Steve H." <steve.guhanick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" What has everyone used for oil filters?  My new rebuilt will be going on
" the dyno soon and I need to provide an oil filter.  I got some of those
" stickers to put on the aftermarket brands to make them look like factory
" filters and they recommend Monroe, Purolator and Fram in that order.
" What have you found out as a preference, or doesn't it matter.

in the comparo mark mentioned, ac delco came out clearly the best.
fram was near the bottom.

" How about oil brand?  I've always been partial to Pennzoil.

have you been following the discussions about zinc level in oils?
flat tappet pushrod engines need what is now considered a high zinc
level, api rated 'si' or earlier [this level was determined by sae
experiments in the '70s], but it's hard to find oil today that isn't
api rated 'sm', with about 1/2 to 2/3 the zinc level of 'si'.

this is less important with a well-broken-in engine, and less
important with a mild stock cam, but still...  i believe this is one
reason for the demise of the 4.0 at jeep.

if you don't use a high-zn oil, you can boost zn level with gm engine
oil supplement, now iirc renamed engine -assembly- supplement as it's
intended only for break-in in modern engines.  that's because it
supposedly slowly poisons cats or o2 sensors over a 100k mi lifetime,
something like that.

also, i wouldn't use any oil lighter than 10w even in the coldest
weather.  my preference is 10w30 around here, southern new england.
5w is too thin for proper bearing lubrication with our oil pressure
and clearances; modern engines are designed with 5w in mind and i'm
told actually need it; 10w is too thick for them to pump and lubricate
properly.  i've heard mopar has had customer problems in this regard.