Re: [Amc-list] back up planning

Depending on the area of use often the larger engine [within reason] will get the same or better mileage then the little engine.
   I've had three close to same size vehicles here in the last 8 years
4.3L V-6 in an S10 crewcab
4.7L V-8 in a Dakota Crewcab
4.7L V-8 in a Grand Cherokee
All get the same 15-17 mpg city.combined.
My wifes current 97 XJ with a 4.0L Stick gets  16-18mpg with her unrefined driving style.
So not much diff in any of these vehicles in the hills around here.

Now, if my son or wife drive my V-8 Grand it gets 13-14mpg. They drive like "Green light, go, Red light stop"
No inbetween...
My wife wanted my Grand Cherokee.
I told her we could not afford for her to drive it.
Boy did she get mad :]

She has passed the days when she should be driving standard shift in hers now.
She pulls out in second if she can, shifts to third, leaves it there.
often she also shifts 1-3 and leaves it there.
On the 70mph interstate she will not bother with 5th either as 4th is good isn't it?

I tell her, I do not want to hear her compalin about mileage with the way she drives.
yeah, you guessed it, She gets mad about that too :]
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>