Re: [Amc-list] back up planning

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> She has passed the days when she should be driving standard shift in hers now.
> She pulls out in second if she can, shifts to third, leaves it there.
> often she also shifts 1-3 and leaves it there.
> On the 70mph interstate she will not bother with 5th either as 4th is good isn't it?
>
> I tell her, I do not want to hear her compalin about mileage with the way she drives.
> yeah, you guessed it, She gets mad about that too :]

Welp, this is why today's cars are like they are. Powerband
and mileage-wise, it's exactly the right approach. Get in,
mash the pedal, off it goes, and mileage is mostly great.

Smaller cars though!

The new computerized car management is pretty spectacular,
but as exciting as a glass of water.

I let a younger (30's) friend drive my Twin Stick American
to go get sandwiches last weekend while we're working on the
LeMons car.  He's got zero old-car experience, though he likes
cars, mainly euro-sporty stuff.

To his credit, he didn't freak out, and he paid attention,
and adapted to it. I gave him the rundown on it, and I left OD
locked out for simplicity. He was a bit baffled, and not sure
he liked it, as he didn't say much upon return, which is odd.
"Discovered" what non-synchro was, gently, then abandoned the
idea of downshifting to first, and just lugged it.

I told him lugging it, 2nd or 3rd near idle speed was OK,
but it didn't sink in until he was in the seat.

Not sure if he's buying an antique car any time soon :-)

I think it's us that's crazy.