Re: [Amc-list] Connecting wire / terminal to fuel snding unit

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Is there any "trick" to it? Should I use a specific connector? Is
> something like the original connector (looks like a seriously
> unersized spark plug boot) available? Or should I simply double check
> where I stripped the wire, crimped to the connector then attached to
> the sending unit?

Nahh, it's not a fussy connection. It's probably the sender
unit, but you can test everything-but-the-sender by grounding
the yellow wire at the tank end. THe gauge should read full
or over-full. If so, that means the gauge is fine, wiring,
etc and the sender is bad.

The sender goes from something like 75 ohms EMPTY to 9 ohms FULL.
Grounding is zero ohms, so it shoudl peg the meter.

If you can do small careful work, you can repair the sender. Most of
them Iv'e seen are not broken, just corroded with age.

THere's a fine wiper that runs along a resistance wire wrapped
around aninsulating card. It simply oxidizes. All were fixed by
simply running a very small piece of 600 grit paper under the
wiper then the card to clean up the contact spots. You often
have to bend a steel shield out of the way to get to it. The
wiper is extremely delicate.

On my AMerican, the wiper fell to pieces. I was able to solder
a piece of brass to the float arm to solder the wiper to,
wrapping it with a long single strand of wire removed from some
18-gauge wire.

If you drop the tank, mailorder a replacement sock and O-ring
kit first.  About $10, totally worth it.

Dropping gas tanks is a PITA the first time since all the
bolts are stuck and in the back of the car, it collects lots
of road crap!  Otherwise it's not that bad. With 2, 3 gallons
in it it's not hard.

Might as well replace all the other hoses while you're under
there, the old rubber is certainly stiff, and if not leaking now,
it will later!