Re: [Amc-list] AMC six, crankshaft bolt pattern?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> The "cone" on the rear of the crankshaft is only for early model automatics. All the Dual Range Hydramatics have it. I'm not sure if any of the BW trannys did, but if your crank is a 58 the early ones had to. I know that by 62 all the crank flanges were flat and would take either manual or auto trans. I suspect only 58-59 had the different crankshaft, but can't say for sure.

Well I have an early 232 (1970) on blocks here to compare;
and the new '58 motor has to come apart anyways. I also know
that the old six (small) flywheel I have laying around fits
the 1963 195.6OHV because I intentionally test-fit it for the
knowledge! So I know that if I make that part fit the '58 new
block I'm all set.

Since the OD of the '58 auto crank flange nose is smaller, a
simple adapter ring would solve flywheel fit; but the question is
pilot bushing hole depth and bore, and I have a bell and trans to
test THAT, so if machining is necessary on the '58 crank it can
be made very straightforward (even if this description is not :-)