Re: [Amc-list] Dang left-braking car, anyway

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> It's all but impossible to get drum brakes in perfect unison
> all the time. Different factors lead to slightly different
> wear in one corner or another. The self adjusters help a
> lot, but aren't perfect.

I'll second that. I'm doing 350 miles a week on my 63 American
with 9 x 2.5 drums up front. On the whole, they are balanced
well, left to right.  But occasionally there's a slight side bias
for a stop or two or three.  If they get wet, all bets are off!

But day to day, they are equal. In really fast/hard stops they're
definitely not as even as discs on my Hornet or Classic, you need
to guide them a bit with the steering wheel. That's basically
never true with decent discs, which pull mainly straight without
touching the steering wheel.

My right front has a very faint tick tick tick that completely
disappears with the slightest touch of the brakes. No effect on
braking, likely it's lodged dirt or shoe fragment. I will pull
the wheel and take a look "soon", though I doubt it's anything
worth worrying about.

Pretty much, drums are fussier than discs. The degree to which
this is "bad" depends on your expectations :-)

Me, when I pull the wheel, I will be reexamining my new idea to
get 10" drums up there... :-) It's a fun project, home-made
hotrod brakes, I know discs would be easier and probably
cost less!