-------------
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Greg Taylor wrote:
> FWIW, the Gen I V8 pattern matches the Gen 2/3, but I think the centering flange was a little different diameter.  Bolt holes were the same, though. Perhaps the early sixes have the Gen I flange size, too.

Interesting. I've never been in a position to compare 6 vs. 8
crank butt patterns. I'm not sure what utility there would be
in being able to swap 6 and 8 parts, but 72-up could benefit
some. Big clutches for hot sixes?

I did unfortunately, not recall before buying that there IS
a difference in early six (195.6) crankshaft butts -- auto
vs. manual have different flanges.  The '58 short block I bought
has apparantly an automatic flange, with a protruding 'nose'
with the center bushing in it. If I recall, the manual flange
is flush across the back, with a recess for the pilot bushing.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"