Re: [Amc-list] Dang left-braking car, anyway

Re: [Amc-list] Dang left-braking car, anyway

They're self-adjusting. I popped those little babies in myself, and
their boxes were labeled L and R. Hoses are new, too. Shoes are long
to the back, short to the front. Rear drums resurfaced, front drums
new.

I took it to the end of my small subdivision road (maybe about 6
houses worth), stopped at the stop sign, and backed up to my house,
hitting brakes on and off as I went. Drove forward, hit brakes nice
and calm - no issues. Hit them harder, and it pulled left. Not as bad
as before. I also got it up to speed and braked a little harder.

Could be the front end as was suggested. The front end is loose,
"wandering", and needs strut rod bushings. The car drove fine running
errands, but I kept it under 45 and didn't do any emergency braking.
I'll call a shop and bring it in for front-end work. Don't want it
darting left under heavy braking on two lane roads. That might hurt.

Trying to decide if I want to do the strut rod bushings myself, or
pony up and get it done - then just have the front end checked once
I'm done. There's an AMCRC member in my town that gets his 64 American
serviced at a local station - so I know they are very familiar with
Rambler Americans. I'm just cheap.