Re: [Amc-list] Dang left-braking car, anywayZ

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> They're self-adjusting. I popped those little babies in myself, and
> their boxes were labeled L and R. Hoses are new, too. Shoes are long

Did you check that the item in the box matched the label? YOu
can figure it out from First Principles. When you hit the brakes,
the self-adjuster cable pulls UPWARD. If they're adjusted fine,
the cable (or rod) doesn't move very much.

If it moves "enough" (big gap between shoe and drum) then the
cable pulls on the odd-looking stamped thing that rests on the
toothed wheel.  If it pulls enough to click past one tooth, when
you let off the brakes, the odd-looking stamped thing return
spring pulls it back down -- and rotates the adjuster ONE TOOTH.

DOWNWARD on the toothed wheel pushes the shoes FARTHER OUT. Down
on the left (U.S. drivers side) means normal right hand thread.

DOWN on the right, passenger side, means bass-ackwards left-hand
thread.

Sometimes the part is stamped "L" or "R".

> "wandering", and needs strut rod bushings.

That could be it.

It's not THAT hard to do suspension work, mainly very dirty :-)
Dunno about 64-69 American/AMX upper trunnions, but if you have
no pre-existing religion about what "normal" means it'll not be
that bad.  There's actual subtlety in there though, so if you
gotta force something, likely you ahve it assembled wrong. (A
good general rul of thumb anywhere :-)

Parts are no longer cheap though :-(

We're also lucky to have a real old-time tire shop that does
excellent work on older cars, and have done suspension stuff
on our balljoint (70-up) cars without blinking.