Re: [Amc-list] '65 American 330 - Front drums 9x2?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> That's exactly what mine had. 9x2 shoes inside 9x2.5 drums. Just got
> replacement drums today, and they're 9x2.5 as well.
>
> So - would that mean to upgrade to 9x2.5, I'd just need bigger shoes?
> Maybe (or maybe not) bigger wheel cylinders? Not that I'd do it right
> now - my shoes have less than 60 miles on them - but that would be
> something to think about.

You need backing plates AND wheel cylinders. The heights (off
the spindle) are different. I specifically checked for all
that stuff!

I'm all hot again to put the 10" drums up front, I'm simply
gonna space out the spindle and backing plate with junk washers
to check for fit (no, not to drive on!) and determine the minimum
thickness needed to clear the steering arm ends. It's complicated
by the drum flange, so it's hard to calculate without actually
setting up the parts. If it works, I'll have 10x2.5 up front
and 10x1.75 (Concord wagon) in back. BIG brakes!