Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV head bolt dimensions

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV head bolt dimensions

Great! The 5 x 3-5/8" definitely go under the valve cover, and the two
studs go on each end of the left side (front and back, not through the
intake plate). I'm pretty sure the 6 that go through the intake plate
are 5". The 4.5" *might* have me stumped! It's been a while since I
pulled a 196 head, but I *think* the front and rear bolts on the right
side (under valve cover) are longer than the center 5. If so they should
be the 4-1/2" bolts. Easy to check -- if the area where the bolt goes
through is taller than the center 5 holes then it needs to be longer,
and I'm pretty sure it is -- provided memory serves me. No clear photo
in the TSM. That just leaves the odd 4-1/4" bolt "hanging" -- I bet it
was a substitute for a missing 5". I'm 99% sure the 6 through the intake
are the same length and the 5 in the center under the valve cover are
the same length.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"