Re: [Amc-list] big a** wrenches

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Armand Eshleman wrote:

> Try your local rent all center, give them a call, they may "rent" a 1-3/4
> inch socket and giant 3/4 or inch drive breaker bar. You need a king daddy
> torque wrench any way to re-torque this stuff.

You apparantly are lucky enough to not have seen the big nut
axles used on old Americans! It's rather silly, you need two big
OPEN ENDED WRENCHES to tighten a taper on a slip joint. It's a
foolish system, there, I said it. An ordinary yoke with U-joint
would have done the same thing with fewer parts.

I'll take photos at the tightening ceremony. It promises to be
just swell fun.

> A big socket works much better than the wrench. You'll thank yourself for
> not busting up your knuckles.

The only 3/4" drive stuff I have is a 24" breaker bar, 12"
extention, and whatever socket it is that fits AMC15 axles :-)