Re: [Amc-list] Audi Grem Bell Bolt Pattern

I took a pic of the tag  on the BW trans as well as the VIN

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Audi Grem Bell Bolt Pattern
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" My son's ex-GF's uncle has a bunch of ex-postal DJ trucks
" (my son and I bought 1 each from him before the breakup) Ours
" have the AMC inline 6 (mine had the 232 with 727 trans, my son's
" had the BW auto on later model 258) He still has 2 rigs left.
" One is the Chev 4 cyl Iron Duke and still runs ice cream around
" and the other has the Audi motor and a bad carb. (I made a deal
" to swap him a rusted out 924 with auto trans he's going to take
" the EFI from. His is a 5 speed and he claimed 28 mpg before the
" carb went bad)

djs used a raft of powertrains over the years.  most had amc sixes
with either warner [early] or mopar [late] autos, but the first
[kaiser willys] had chevy fours and powerglides while the last had amc
fours and tf904s.  one series had the audi four; they are generally
reviled as underpowered and unreliable, probably by american-iron
bigots.  considering how little they are, i've always thought anything
bigger than a four was grossly overpowering, but for most of the '70s
that's all amc/jeep/amgeneral had.

yours with the tf should be later than your son's with the bw.  i've
heard conflicting things whether the bw-auto sixes were '60s style, or
'70s style with 290/304 converter housings.