Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

If the oil pump shaft hole is worn enough to give .003" run out it will destroy a gear in 15 min.
   There are MANY reasons this could have happened.
   Davis

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Jesse wrote:

> I have heard so many numerous accounts of new
> aftermarket HEI units ruining engines, I am wary of
> the one I have now. Even Car Craft fell victim
> recently.

> Is it possible to do a "mesh test" like we do on ring
> and pinions? If the gear pattern was even and in the
> middle, would that guarantee a safe unit?

That's probably not a bad idea!

I bet you could get the dist gear oil-free, paint the flats
with red paint, let it dry over night, then run the car for an
hour or a day, yank it and see. Hard to believe it will ruin
the cam gear that quickly.