Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:  On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Jesse wrote:

> I have heard so many numerous accounts of new
> aftermarket HEI units ruining engines, I am wary of
> the one I have now. Even Car Craft fell victim
> recently.

> Is it possible to do a "mesh test" like we do on ring
> and pinions? If the gear pattern was even and in the
> middle, would that guarantee a safe unit?

That's probably not a bad idea!

I bet you could get the dist gear oil-free, paint the flats
with red paint, let it dry over night, then run the car for an
hour or a day, yank it and see. Hard to believe it will ruin
the cam gear that quickly.

  Hi Tom,
  When I first put the HEI in the 401 in Cherokee Chief 6 years ago, during it?s rebuild, it didn?t take long to chew up the gears.  The DUI was supplied with a new dist. Gear installed and I just installed it into the engine as-is ? I did not know then the seriousness of having a matched pair of cam & distributor gears, so the new gear chewed up the old cam gear.

  When installing a new HEI, it is best to re-use the old dist. Gear, or swap out both to new/new gears.  Also, as an added measure of protection, measure the distance from the dist. Gear top to the flange on the existing distributor and try to install the new HEI at the same height (shimmed if needed).  This helps to keep the gear wear pattern meshed correctly on the existing used gears.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :)  <><

And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.  - 1 John 5:11-12