Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

On a V-8, get a matched set of gears -- both gears from the same manufacturer. Part of the problem is the Chinese machinist is given a drawing that has been converted from US Inch to Metric system measurements. Parts for cars that aren't made any more or in large demand are almost always contracted out to someone, usually overseas (Mexico or China) today. Never had the problem with AMc V-8s until the last 10 years. Luckily the problem doesn't usually rear it's head on sixes.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"