Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

Re: [Amc-list] HEI's chewing gears, how to avoid?

Jesse,

Tom's comment about never hearing about this problem years ago is right on.
I swapped in a Mallory Dual point into my 70 Javelin in the middle to late
70's.
Car had about 50,000 to 60,000 miles on it. Car now has 105,000 miles and so
far no
problem. Well , that's not entirely true, the dist. cap started carbon
tracking and arcing
so I tried to find a new one for it, cause the dist. is still in great
shape, guess what, Mallory
stopped making caps for this one (it's a split cap that positively retains
the wires) I'm never
buying a Mallory piece again, I'll go to MSD or something first.

Any way got off track there a little..........

I remember there being some talk recently about junk dist. gears from
overseas,
ruining engines just like the junk lifters were doing. I think if you stick
with a reputable brand
you will do OK. On the other hand if you follow Greg's advice and just pull
the dist. gear off
the old dist. and install it on the new distributor same distance from the
flange you'll be eve better
]off. I have three AMC V-8s and I've kept the cam and dist gears off of all
of them just to retain
as matching pairs of gears for future use, better safe than sorry.

Back to MSD, I'm thinking of getting the ready to go MSD Pro Billet
Distributor, it doesn't need the
spark box to run it but you can use one with it anyway if you like. I was
thinking of finding a used 6AL
box from one of my dirt track buddies and going with both. If the box fails
I can always reconnect the
distributor without the box and still drive home.
Any body got one of these Pro Billet distributors??? What do you think of
them???

Armand