Re: [Amc-list] interesting sites (T-96 in 67 big cars??)

Re: [Amc-list] interesting sites (T-96 in 67 big cars??)

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
"
" Maybe BW stopped producing the T-85? The 290 got a T-86. I bet a more
" likely answer is that few people ordered the big cars with the three
" speed and six combo, and AMC tried to cheap out by using the same
" trans in all models. Would have been better to put a T-85 in the
" smaller cars than a smaller trans in the big ones though!

iirc --
t86/t90 have a nearly square bolt pattern similar to the t96, and
6-bolt top covers, always used on small [287, 290] v8s
t85/t89 have a tall bolt pattern with one lower bolt kicked out, and
side covers, ancestor of the t10, used on large [327] v8s
both have long 1 1/8" x 10 spline input
patterns share top 2 bolts?

btw car t14 has t96 bolt pattern and input, t15 and jeep t14 have t86
bolt pattern and input.  car apps have side shifters; jeeps, cane
shifter in top covers.

amc apparently didn't use the t85/t89 in '67, but iirc the last use of
the r10 o/d was on '71 ford pickups, with 390 -- and t89...  so it
looks like gen2 v8s were never teamed with the t85, but i wonder about
the t85 and t10 bolt patterns, which i know are generally similar.
the same, maybe?  what does it take to replace a t85 with a t10 in a
'65-6 ambo or marlin?

ps. i also recall a '67 289/t86/r10 option in small/mid fords.

" ----------------
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
" "
" " Only small cars got the T-96 (except for early big cars w/195.6 OHV).
"
" just checked my '67 10-50-80 tsm - the regular 3sp described for the
" 232 is a t96.  h/d-fleet option was the t86 used with 290s.
"
" '68 for t14 and t15.
"
" you're right on the axle though, amc20 all the way.