Re: [Amc-list] interesting sites today

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, d stohler wrote:

> well, stopped at an "antique motors" today. had a lot
> of JUNK!! but some real nice sites.

I'm not understanding... store? junk yard? website?

> wagon 232 manual/od. a 58 american, a 56 statesman, a
> 57 statesman, and a 58 sutde PRESIDENTIAL. the 56
> statesman had flat head 196/man/od. but the real neat
> thing, i never seen a 2 bbl head for a flat head 6.
> anyone interested? have to buy the whole car tho. the

Edelbrock or somebody made a two-carb head for that flathead,
my father had one of those little hot rod magazine/booklets with
a story on it...  wish I had that book now! (That was close to
40 years ago -- crap am I that old?!)

> 67 rebel, i was interested in that, IF some things
> will interchange. its a 232 man w/od. will that trans,
> od, and rear end work on my 62 classic with the 196? i
> know its an open drive, while i have the torque tube.
> but can i use the rear link system, and fit it to my
> 62 classic? if i can, that would be nice to do, so i
> can work out the bugs on the open/modified rear
> suspension for when i do my 304/t5. now for the
> coolest thing.

I know nothing about 67 rebels, isn't it just a leaf spring
rear? Any old AMC could donate the parts for that to put in
the 62.

But that trans is likely a T-14 with R10 overdrive! Tweren't
no T-96 that year, and too early for the T150.

I'll take the trans if you don't want it! :-)

> 58 stude presidential. high performance v8. not sure
> what it was. looked similar to the 287/327, but it had
> extra bolts on the center of the valve cover. did they
> use the 327?? or did they have their own then?

Nah, it's a Studey motor, apparently built like brick sh**houses
for the soon to be available super-octane fuels (that never
materialized...)

> it was
> a 4 bbl motor. power steering, power brakes, electric
> wipers. 3.91 rear gears. dual exhuast. someone at one
> time had started a resto on it, and gave up. guy wants
> $2000 for it as it sits now. needs painted. lot of
> surface rust. body is strait and i only saw 2 small
> spots of rust on it. drivers window was the only one
> that would need replaced. once again, i got to

Wow, nice boat! But 58's not a pretty year for old
Steadybreaker... kinda like AMCs later years but with really
ugly styling added.

MAN! Those glued-on headlight pods to make it quad!! What
a disaster!!! Makes it unique though!