Re: [Amc-list] 401 oil mods Now 401 build specs

Re: [Amc-list] 401 oil mods Now 401 build specs

Nick,
   very cool. Thanks for the info. It is very much like my 401 in my gremlin. except I have a flat tappet solid .254/ .260 540 cam and herman lewis heads and intake. 10.39:1 custom Ross pistons. Made 532 HP 500 ftlbs  on the dyno. Went a best of 11.035 @ 121 so far with about 8 runs on it.  I broke the leafspring perches on the rear so now ladder bars and floaters are in the works.
   Davis

Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Davis,

Here are the basics from memory. I will try to dig up the actual specs on everything as it was built back in 2004-2005.

1973 401 block bored .020 to 4.185. Forged Venolia full floater pistons that netted 10.25:1 compression with a 54cc chamber. Forged rods were polished and shot peened with Diamond bushings and ARP rod bolts. Pistons were lightened and full rotating assembly was balanced with an aluminum/steel SFI balancer and steel SFI flexplate. Heads were Edlebrock aluminum RPM without the heat cross over that we ported and flowed around 275-280cfm range at .600 lift on the intake and 200-205 on the exhaust. These were one of the very first sets of Edelbrock heads so there were some issues we had to work around. The cam was a 579/563 238/244 @.050 Crane solid roller (this is about the larget lift cam you can run on the Edelbrock heads without changing the valve and doing some other work to them. We are running much more duration and lift with roller cams that are still very street-able). Springs, retainers and keepers were changed to match cam. Crane gold
roller rocker. We installed our Anti-walk cam kit and I believe we advanced the cam just slightly as he wanted to run an Airgap over a Torker intake so we wanted to bring the power band down just a little. Custom 8 quart pan with external pick up to the filter housing. Had an MSD distributor, Airgap intake and 950 HP Holley carb and 1&7/8 Hooker Super Comp headers. 3" exhaust with a cross over tube.

This car ran extremely strong through all gears. Pulled hard from just above idle with a smooth and fast rev through the RPM range. Engine ran 180-190 all day long. It was a real fun pro-touring 1970 AMX. There was a nice 5 page spread in the Nov issue of Popular Hot Rodding. Although the customer never ran the car at the track, we had a very similar set up in a 400lb heavier AMC street car that didn't have the best weight transfer easily turn in the 11s. Should have been a mid 11s car in the 70 AMX. Again, this was set up as a Pro Touring car and not a race car.

Nick,

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 1