[Amc-list] Zinc oils roller

Lets see, where to start.  Roller engine most are probably referring to a roller lifter cam verses a flat tappet.  This is where the lifter actually has a roller bearing that rides on the cam journal verses a flat lifter tappet.  Roller cams typically have a more aggressive ramp speed meaning they can open and close the valve much quicker.  Some may also refer to roller rockers arms, which is a rocker arm with a roller bearing tip, when they say rollers

Overhead cam is an engine where the cam is in the head sitting above the valve train pushing down on it without lifters and push-rods opening and closing the valves where as  a non over head cam motor typically has the cam in somewhat the middle of the block with lifters riding on the cam lobes pushing  a push-rod up and down which pivots a rocker  on the head back and fourth on top of a valve stem which opens and closes the valve (how about that for a run on sentence).

Crank scraper is somewhat like it sounds.  It is a piece of material (typically steel) that is cut out in a shape that conforms the crank counter weights and bolts between the block and the oil pan.  Its job is to scrape the excess oil off of the counter weights as it is rotating reducing the drag on the crank.  Not such a good idea on a street car with a roller cam as that excess oil throw helps lube and cool the roller lifters and cam while the engine is sitting at an idle.

Nick,

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Hey guys, ?Thanks for all the? great threads and info on the oils with zinc. I will start using that wall mat pre 88 or the diesel engine oil in my pre 88 cars. $9.19 a gallon for the diesel oil is not bad, 1.39 is good too. I have been using fram filters for years and never had a problem?in 40 years,?but i do read the threads of how much everyone hates Fram.
ok for the non engine tech types here, like me, what is a roller engine versus non roller or whatever that makes the zinc not necesary?? is it overhead valve, versus overhead cam? Never took a motor apart so I hae no idea, but I may too to try sometime soon when i restore my dads 74 ambo 360, sitting for many years. what are are amc?engines-where is the roller thing??and what is a crank scraper? In quiring minds would like to know... regards.
and thanks,