Re: [Amc-list] Part Numbers for Bushings

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Graham, George W (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:

> I've never seen a worn out pin on these -- they eat into the hinge
> instead.   Pin mat'l must be harder than the hinge mat'l.

The door hinges on 70-up (earlier?) really suck. It's one
of the worst things AMC ever did. The early 60's hinges last
forever. That GM type crap with the flimsy bronze bushing really
craps up AMC cars.

On my previous 70 hornet (the one i had in the 80's) I took a
pair of junk hinges and had a shop weld in 7/16" nuts where the
bushings went, then through-drilled them for a HALF INCH BOLT
as hinge pin. I didn't, but should have, drilled them for a zerk.