------------------------
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:58:51 -0600
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

Well - my car was idling nice, sounding good! Last night my son and I heard
some bad scraping noises from the front. We shut it down. I pulled all the
plugs, disconnected the battery and turned it by hand. Phew!!! The fan belt
was scraping against a hose clamp towards the top of the engine. I rotated
the hose clamp, tightened it down, then turned the engine again by hand. No
more scraping sound.

BUT ... - I did hear a clicking noise from the first cylinder. I put m finger
over the spark plug hole, and it seems like after I hit TDC then go back down
on the stroke - something in the cylinder makes a brief scrape then a click -
I'm imagining a broken piston ring acting up as the cylinder changes
direction.

Rather than imagine - I'd like to pull the head and take a look. I figure it's
not time to do a compression test - as I can hear noises from inside the
engine.

So - when removing the head, first I remove the hoses, then I remove the valve
cover, then the exhaust manifold, then the carb? Do I need to remove the
intake manifold? Is the intake manifold integral to the head? Right now I've
got all bolts sprayed with PB Blaster and am trying to figure out next steps.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"