Re: [Amc-list] 196 OHV - removing head, diagnosing rings

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> BUT ... - I did hear a clicking noise from the first cylinder. I put m finger
> over the spark plug hole, and it seems like after I hit TDC then go back down
> on the stroke - something in the cylinder makes a brief scrape then a click -
> I'm imagining a broken piston ring acting up as the cylinder changes
> direction.
>
> Rather than imagine - I'd like to pull the head and take a look. I figure it's
> not time to do a compression test - as I can hear noises from inside the
> engine.

I WOULD do that compression test first! Data never hurts, and
it's easy to get. If your suspect cylinder has low compression,
that is a solid indicator. Also, your ears might be deceiving
you, it could be an adjacent cylinder, or something else in
time with the piston.

I can hear the fuel pump lever tapping on it's cam under the
right circumstances, it comes up the filler tube. Besides a tiny
exhaust tick, this engine is really quiet, so it's pretty clear.

> So - when removing the head, first I remove the hoses, then I remove the valve
> cover, then the exhaust manifold, then the carb? Do I need to remove the
> intake manifold? Is the intake manifold integral to the head? Right now I've
> got all bolts sprayed with PB Blaster and am trying to figure out next steps.

Did this this past weekend!

The "intake" is just a fat groove in the iron head with an
aluminum cover on it! The carb bolts to it. Head bolts run
through it, elsewise no reason to take out those 1/4-20 bolts.

Drain radiator juice down past the head (2 gal. bucket --
there's LOTS of juice in this motor!)

Remove water hoses, and/or water neck (thermostat is a odd size);
PCV hoses, vacuum lines, etc.  Remove fuel line down to the pump,
it gets in the way.  Remove carb.

Buy a new water valve. Yours is broken or leaking :-)

Remove lines from oil filter (one to block, one to head). Remove
head to pump line on passenger side. Remove oil filter and
bracket.

Remove valve cover. Save the gasket, it lives in the groove
and should last a long time (but not forever...)

Crack rocker bolts loose, then walk them out front to back a
turn or two at a time. Pluch forth said parts. Everyone puts
them in the valve cover (which ought to be clean).

Crack head bolts loose, walk them out a turn or two in the
tightening pattern.

Pry off the stuck head.

Take lots of photos so we can all see!