Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
"
"
" > yeah, that's a point.  is the flywheel or bellhousing actually any
" > different though?  afaik the 8 1/2" and 9 1/8" both have the same
" > bolt pattern.  they definitely use the same release bearing.
"
" Nope, totally different circle diameter, about 1" diameter
" difference.  I'll measure later if anyone cares. I think Frank
" talked about a double-drilled flywheel, but mine aren't. I have
" one of each; in fact the 9" (OK, 9.25") flywheel came off the 69
" Jav 232 I think, or at least some other 232 -- so I can tell you
" for certain that a 195.6 and pre-72 flywheel really are the same.

the 199/232/258 flywheel's two patterns are the 9" and a 10.5".  the
difference is just over 1" since the 9" with 5/16" bolts just squeezes
in a 10" disk and the 10.5" with 3/8" bolts just takes an 11" disk.  i
didn't know that 196 flywheels also had two patterns.  i do know the
9" clutch covers 196s up to 258s of the mid '70s.

" I neglected to mark the flywheel position on the crank! Crap! I
" assume there's the one offset bolt there. The 232 is internally
" balanced, so I hope the 195.6 is too!

i'm pretty sure that all inline sixes are neutral balanced based on
the basic physics of crank throws and firing order.