Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

The 20 isn't that much extra weight (unless dealing with a 4 cyl) but the 8.8 and 9 inch have a friction penalty. It takes more HP to turn them. (D44 takes more than an M20 too!)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I see your point, but the 15 will take 300-350 hp even with a limited slip and decent traction. Been there, done that -- in a light car like a Gremlin or American (the one I know of was an American, and Mark Price on here is running one). Real slicks and traction control will tax it (with 350 hp), but it will hold up pretty well for a long time. For a race or street/strip car something heavier is definitely needed, but for most street performance cars it's not. There is a huge weight penalty paid for an AMC 20 or Ford 8.8/9". That weight affects ride, handling, and performance. Unless you're planning on running it real hard all the time it's not worth changing. The 15 will take some abuse, but not a regular pounding. I've never broke one, and I have run cars with 15s pretty hard.