Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Jim Blair wrote:

> The 20 isn't that much extra weight (unless dealing with a 4 cyl) but the 8.8 and 9 inch have a friction penalty. It takes more HP to turn them. (D44 takes more than an M20 too!)

I weighed them... it was a long time ago, but the big axle weighs
75 lbs more than the little axle. And that's UNSPRUNG weight,
a terrible thing to increase in the butt of an alreday-light
car...  unless all you plan on doing is driving in a straight
line (some do :-)