Re: [Amc-list] Part numbers again - rotor, condensor, points

Actually the reporting goes beyond the managers. There is a built in report system, but it's been turned off by the people that are being penalized for the errors so they don't have to cough up to the reporters (I have several emails that went back and forth till I quit)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Part numbers again - rotor, condensor, points
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like you got a mixture of parts for Delco and Autolite distributors. Parts places like to "condense" their catalogs down to as few parts as possible, especially for the older, slower selling stuff. They do this by attempting to cross reference as many replacement parts as they can. Sound logic, terrible in practice! They don't have anyone really familiar with the vehicles, just someone with a few catalogs doing the cross referencing. So if one aftermarket company was off a year/model/part number, the whole catalog might be screwed up. Their logic is customer returns and reports from the field will straighten any mistakes out, but many store owners don't follow through with the reports, and when some do nothing gets changed for a long time (if at all), so they end up not sending reports (why if the head office doesn't respond in a timely manner?). AMC used mostly Delco distributors and electrics for the OHV 196, mostly Autolite for L-heads. This varied some depending on
  year. But everything was autolite or everything Delco, so not hard to keep track for your car.

So let's fix YOUR problem! You should have Delco electrics. Go in and ask for tune-up parts for a 65 Chevy II with 235 or 250 six. For those with Autolite electrics ask for 65 Falcon or Mustang 200 six parts. They all fit! The only difference between AMC and Chevy/Ford is the distributor shaft and lower housing (where it mates to the block).

On the 199/232/258 AMC used Delco early on, switched to Autolite in the mid 70s. When they designed the "new" six they made it use a standard Delco Chevy distributor. You can drop it right in! Saved them a good bit on distributors over the years, and makes it easy to get a replacement. The GM 250 six HEI distributor also drops right in. The later Autolite distributor fits the early sixes, but has a different distributor gear (I believe it rotates in the opposite direction). I don't recall if the gear on the cam is different or not -- I don't think so (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), just the drive gear is different. If you already have an Autolite distro the TFI upgrade is best. In-line six HEIs are getting hard to find, so it's usually easier and cheaper to get a used Autolite AMC six distro and use the TFI upgrade.