Re: [Amc-list] The '65 American 330 cranks - (and the numbers are...)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Okay, compression is not pretty.

> 6 = 80

Oh well, I'd go for it, but take it super easy on it when
you get it running, like < 2000 rpm for a while, like 10 -
30 minutes?  Then re-check it. If the plug is oily, or if
compression drops... bad.  Maybe it'll come up though.

A lot of work at this level is guesswork, pet ideas, rumors and
hearsay, on top of some understanding of the parts and physics
involved.  Might even sacrifice a chicken or two. THe problem is
that without knowing precisely what's going on in there (rust?
carbon? broken ring? bad gas goo? driven without oil/scored
walls? ...), there's not a lot you can do. Pop the head if you
feel adventurous. That's not all that hard even for a novice.

One thing I did to my 195.6ohv was, put probably 4 - 8oz
of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder from the plug hole
over a 2 - 3 week period. It didn't stay there. I picture it
(...) soaking past the rings, filling the gaps, and loosening
crud, and leaving a little lube behind for those first critical
seconds of high-speed piston/ring motion. I rotated it with a
ratchet on the crank more or less daily an added more oil.

It all worked out OK in the end. Plus I sacrificed a chicken. It
might have been that.

> as well. I did not pick up a multi-meter yet, so haven't
> checked the actual current readings - I simply tested that
> I'm getting power to it, and between it and the distributor.

I wouldn't agonize over it; if there's 12V at the battery+ then
current flow will be close enough to correct to assume it's
OK. If the test lamp was dim/really dim then you'd have either
a ballast or resistor wire or likely, bad connections. If it's
bright go for it.