Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232

A: It's too bad '71 was the last year of the small bell 6 cyl. I wonder if anyone will get around to making and adapter for them to fit the stronger and/or later transmissions?

From: "Ted Dooling" <tdooling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

As the proud owner of a 71 Gremlin (my dream car since I was 13. I know, I know... what kind of a man would dream about owning a Gremlin) currently under restoration I am always asked if it has a V8. This forces me to constantly defend my 140hp 232 6. Maybe it's the cherry bomb muffler, Y pipe and two tail pipes sticking out the back that prompts the question (I purchased it like this and actually like the sound and look), or maybe it's the 15" Javelin rims, or maybe they just can't figure why a 51 year old man would restore a Gremlin and they are giving me the benefit of the doubt, but it is really making me wonder about a couple things. First, is there anything I can do to beef up the performance of the 232... carburetion, etc? I really like the way this engine and trans run, but I would also like to get as much performance out of it as I could. As a second option can I hook up a 304 to the really nice B/W Flash-O-Matic currently in the car, or would I need to replace the t
 rans with the engine? Is this an easy change over?

Thank you very much for any information shared on this topic.

Ted Dooling