Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232

I'm in the (extended) process of hopping up the 258 in my Jeep J-10.
It's getting a 4.0L head, old Clifford intake, and 4.0L tubular exhaust
manifold (have to use that or a 4.0L header with the 4.0L head, but a
258 intake will bolt on -- exhaust port shape and position of the two
center ports changed). It's an 83 with Motorcraft electronic ignition
already. It will get a TFI upgrade later (Fords version of HEI, but uses
an adapter cap on the older distributor rather than an entirely new
distributor -- Ford 300 six parts pop right on). If you have a Ford type
distributor, the TFI upgrade is easy. Just get the cap and adapter,
rotor, plug wires, and coil for a 87-96 Ford 300 six. The high energy
coil is the main component -- the bigger diameter cap and wires with
more positive connections are required to handle the added electric power.

The good thing is I have plenty room to work! I plan on using a 350 cfm
Holley 2300 2Vfor now, but am looking for a 390-500 cfm 4V carb. That
will actually work better, as the secondary venturis will hardly ever be
used. The 350 2V is really a bit big, but it's readily available and I
already have access to a couple for the right price (free!) -- just need
to finish rebuilding it. I'm adding a 1/2" copper tube under the length
of the Clifford intake for a bit of heating. Will still be a bit cold
natured on start-up, but it's not usually THAT cold here in SC. At least
not for more than a few days when some arctic wind blows down once or
thrice a year.

I've been working on this project for a while now, but only a little at
a time. I've been remodeling my house, which takes priority. I'm just
about at a point where I can stop for a couple months and get everything
else caught up before I start on the kitchen and an addition!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"