[Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232

if you wanted to do an engine swap but stick with a 6, a jeep 4.0
stock or stroker [with 258 crank and rods] will drop onto the 232
motor mounts - at least, up to late-'90s or so blocks.  you can easily
build a street-friendly 4.0 stroker with over 300 hp.  the 4.0 is a
direct evolution of your 232 and such a slick swap few onlookers would
realize it wasn't stock.  you'd also want a stronger tranny with
these; wranglers used a tf999/32rh/32re related to the amc
torqueflites, cherokees a strong 4sp aw4 related to trannies toyota
widely used.  cherokees have a funny fan setup you'd want to change
over to wrangler style.

you'll also want a v8 rear and a general brake upgrade if you bump the
power much.  good news, a '79-'83 concord/spirit brake system is a
bolt-on - if you get -everything-.

\\

I would check www.car-parts.com for a 1989+ 2wd Jeep Cherokee with 4.0
and the Aisin Automatic [same as Toyota] or the AX-15 5 speed stick -
which won't slick shift but is fine for street use - I have one in
my 1981 Cherokee.

The 1988 & '89 have a stand alone TCM - Trans. Controller separate
from the ECM.

Get the wire harness - uncut - if you can.

You can source this from the www.strokers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - one of
the List members would have one available - then sort out the harness
for the ECM / TCM & install.

This would give you 190HP EFi and a 4 speed automatic transmission
totally updating the feel & performance of the Gremlin.

The NAXJA.org online list is another place to check - this is the
Cherokee XJ JEEP people - check their billboard.

I'd seriously install Disc Brakes with this one.

--

    =Bt=
milnersXcoupe