Re: [Amc-list] Correct Fuel Pump for 232-Six

Re: [Amc-list] Correct Fuel Pump for 232-Six

Rich,

My 68 American had an electric wiper pump on it when I got it and the
pump arm also went over the cam instead of under it. The pump worked
just fine that way. The important thing is to make sure the replacement
has a place for the fuel filter in it.

Matt

R MORGAN wrote:
> Last time I wrote to you guys inquiring about the possible conversion
> for a mechanical fuel pump application.  I have a 1967 Marlin w/ a 2-
> barrel 232 Six.  Originally having vacuum wipers (I converted them to
> electric some time ago) the old 2-stage fuel pump (vacuum booster)
> finally gave up the ghost and I am planning to install a new pump
> without the booster.  I was told from your reliable sources that this
> was no problem... just close off the vacuum port on the intake
> manifold.  The current replacement M3805 which is for all of the late
> sixties 232's (made by Airtex & or Carter) seems to have a different
> armature set-up than the old 2-stage.  According to Airtex Tech
> Support, they state that the armature should mount up and over the
> pickup cam in the engine.  The old one, I believe, went under the
> cam.  The flange mounting can only be mounted in one direction, so
> the armature appears backward from the old version.  So my question
> to any/all of you is... Does the tech support story and application
> sound correct?  If you look at all of the online pics of the various
> brands.... they all look the same and are oriented identically.
> Also, does it matter (with the flange correctly mounted to the
> engine) whether the fuel filter is pointed up or down.  Thank you in
> advance (not to be confused with Advance Auto Parts lol!)
>
> Rich Morgan

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com