[Amc-list] Correct Fuel Pump for 232-Six

[Amc-list] Correct Fuel Pump for 232-Six

Last time I wrote to you guys inquiring about the possible conversion
for a mechanical fuel pump application.  I have a 1967 Marlin w/ a 2-
barrel 232 Six.  Originally having vacuum wipers (I converted them to
electric some time ago) the old 2-stage fuel pump (vacuum booster)
finally gave up the ghost and I am planning to install a new pump
without the booster.  I was told from your reliable sources that this
was no problem... just close off the vacuum port on the intake
manifold.  The current replacement M3805 which is for all of the late
sixties 232's (made by Airtex & or Carter) seems to have a different
armature set-up than the old 2-stage.  According to Airtex Tech
Support, they state that the armature should mount up and over the
pickup cam in the engine.  The old one, I believe, went under the
cam.  The flange mounting can only be mounted in one direction, so
the armature appears backward from the old version.  So my question
to any/all of you is... Does the tech support story and application
sound correct?  If you look at all of the online pics of the various
brands.... they all look the same and are oriented identically.
Also, does it matter (with the flange correctly mounted to the
engine) whether the fuel filter is pointed up or down.  Thank you in
advance (not to be confused with Advance Auto Parts lol!)

Rich Morgan