[Amc-list] wow, OK, I'm impressed -- digital camera sees thread size

[Amc-list] wow, OK, I'm impressed -- digital camera sees thread size

I believe I figured out TPI for the inside thread in the
American steering wheel, using my digital camera. It's a 7
megapixel Sony, I turned on "closeup", got out the thread guage,
and took a dozen photos.  The last one worked.

http://wps.com/temp/r1.JPG

That's an 18 TPI guage there. That picture is 3000 pixels across.
I loaded the image into the GIMP (open-source "photoshop")
and zoomed until the teeth on the guage were 1/4" apart on
the screen.

You gotta realize just how awkward this measurement is. It's
inside the steering wheel recess, down past the end of the
steering shaft from the steering box. You can't touch it,
and the viewing angle is impossible for a human eye.

http://wps.com/temp/r-close.JPG

Digital cameras are incredibly useful tools for working on
cars and seeing into impossible places. I "looked" inside two
different gas tanks with one, basically flashing photos into the
small hole available and looking at the viewfinder afterwards.

Man times change, sometimes for the better!