Re: [Amc-list] Removing front drums - leave bearing nuts alone? Just rem

Re: [Amc-list] Removing front drums - leave bearing nuts alone? Just remove dus

Make sure you clean and inspect the front wheel bearings (make sure you
clean all of the grease out of the hub). Once you get the bulk of the
old grease out, clean everything with brake cleaner and some paper shop
towels. Once all of the old grease is off, they should turn freely and
there should be no pitting, rust, or blue spots. If in doubt, replace them.

Also, you need to keep the bearings matched up with the hub they came
out of. The bearings are factory matched to the races (those are the
parts in the hub) and combined with 40+ years of wear, the likely
outcome of mixing them up is you'll destroy them quickly.

If you end up replacing them, you'll need a steel punch to drive the old
races out. There are a few slots machined into the race seats for the
punch. There are a couple of ways to install the new races. There is a
tool made for this purpose that also doubles as a seal driver. You can
also use large sockets or you can grind down the old races so they slip
in and out of the hubs. Finally, you can chicken out and take them to a
machine shop.

The TSM recommends high pressure lithium grease but the synthetic wheel
bearing grease that's available today is much, much better.

Matt

Glen Hoag wrote:
> Exactly.  If you need to replace the front drums, you will have to
> press the wheel studs out (or have it done at a machine shop).  This
> used to be a common task.
>
> --Glen
>
> At 04:58 PM 1/22/2008, you wrote:
>> I think I found the answer from a previous post (to me). Happy for
>> the search feature!
>>
>> Quote: The fronts should be less difficult to get off. All you have to do for
>> the fronts is take the wheel bearings a part. The front drums are held
>> onto the hubs by the wheel studs. /Endquote

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon