[Amc-list] Neutral safety switch broken?????

[Amc-list] Neutral safety switch broken?????

1971 AMC Javelin SST.
I went to hook up my electric oil pressure gauge today and discovered that even with the car in park, and the ignition turned off, everything was hot. I took the steering column apart and found that the little piece of metal on top of the plastic gears to the ignition switch is broken. The car will now also go into gear with the ignition off, and will try start with the gear out of park and neutral. I am starting the car for the first time tonight for the break in, God willing it won't explode!

What is that little piece of metal, is the neutral safety switch in the column or somewhere else. Or is it another issue all together?

Troy