Re: [Amc-list] rear hub puller amc-15 what to use?

Re: [Amc-list] rear hub puller amc-15 what to use?

Re: [Amc-list] rear hub puller amc-15 what to use?

Got it!  In my searching I found the pics of the snap-on one and also
the Proto 4001G type with the Y-shaped forks and a huge center bolt.  You
put a leg in each fork and the legs bolt to the lugs on the hub.

I discovered that one of the swap-meet tools I bought (not really knowing what
it was for but I had to have it!) was the Y and center bolt for this tool!
I got some extra long wheel studs and long lug nuts to take the place
of the missing legs, some washers to keep the wheel studs from pulling through
the forks and a 1-3/16 socket made a working tool.

Fortunately I was reminded to put the axle nut back on the axle to keep
the hub from flying off when it popped loose, which it did after some heating
and breaker bar action that practically lifted the car off the stands.
I put a jack stand under one fork of the Y to keep it from turning.  Also
it was a toss up for awhile between pulling the hub off the axle or pulling
the washers through the forks.  The hub popped off with enough force to knock
the socket off the tool, and the handle out of the socket, with me
still standing on the end of the handle.

Once the axle was out, it was very easy to remove the old bearing with a
bearing separator and a two jaw puller.  No need for a hydraulic
press like the TSM says.

Thanks, more tomorrow.
Mike