[Amc-list] Testing Old Radios

<snip> I get absolutely no sound.  I have the radio attached to a 12 volt power supply, the antenna plugged into the radio and the speakers attached to the radio.  Is there anything I am missing - such as do I need the antenna and/or speakers grounded to the radio?  If not, then I have a couple of dead radios.  Anyone know how much voltage should come out of the radio to the speakers?  I was only measuring .4 volts. <snip>

When you say .4 volts, is that AC or DC?

You shouldn't measure anything DC, and you certainly can hear .4 volts of AC on a speaker that's working!

I'm a bit unclear on your grounding comments though...   The coax from the antenna has a ground connection built in, and on older radio's one side of the speaker usually connects to ground.  Of course, when I go looking for it, I can't find the radio wiring in my '69 TSM, although I'm sure I've seen it in there!

Dave